Thursday, September 30, 2010

Punctum vs Studium






Of course when going into an art museum or looking at anything really, there are traits that will cause you to 
pause to admire the object in more detail or that will cause you to continue walking as if the object had not existed. Bartes uses two terms that are polar opposite to describe the level of interest that an artwork has on a viewer: “studium” and “punctum.” “Studium” is the factor that quickly draws a person into the painting. It is what makes you stare at a painting or what calls your attention. Above are the paintings that quickly caught my attention as I was scrolling down a collection of paintings. I believe the style I like which I find reoccurring in the paintings that I stare at are those that have a lot of abnormality and contrast to it. The painting with the women and the eye is very different to what one would normally see a women and an eye. This gives room to a lot of interpretation. I also enjoy the contrasting colors in the 1st picture and the brightness of the left side causes my eyes to go back to the painting. These pictures quickly interest me, grab me, and have an effect on me. On the other hand, “studium” is how one likes an artwork but not particularly loving it. It does not have the intense attractive power that “punctum” has. Below are 3 pictures that demonstrate my “punctums.” The pictures are repetitive and boring. There are just a group of colorful circles and to me I don’t really care as much toward them as I do to the paintings above. I feel like there is not a deeper meaning to these paintings






No comments:

Post a Comment