Thursday, September 2, 2010

High Museum: European Design

During my visit to the High Museum in the European Design Exhibit, I was intrigued by how each of the three floors mainly focused on its own particular movement of art: Expressive movement (1st floor), Decorative Design Movement (2nd floor), and Neo-pop Movement (3rd floor). I especially loved the atmosphere in which I was viewing the art. From going to the Museum there is definitely a different feeling when looking at the original piece of art than a picture of it. This feeling cannot be described only experienced. I felt like I appreciated the object more in its actual form for some unexplainable reason. It might have to do with the fact the art works were in its natural environment. I can relate to Ways of Seeing by Berger, who stated that reproduced art that is in a different context such as in millions of homes loses its value. Only the original piece in its correct atmosphere has authority which is what I felt when standing the in the presence of some of the artworks in the museum.




When I walked in, immediately I noticed what looked like chairs made of material that did not look comfortable to sit in. Chairs were constructed from black steel, stainless steel, glass, and other metals. I was amazed at how these artists were able to change the normal conception of everyday objects into a new idea by stressing the physical appearance of the objects over its function by using industrial materials. 



These two chairs are prime examples of expressive design (top: bone Lounge Chair, bottom: Slice Chair). The chairs are transformed into a new way of picturing chairs by taking on the opposite of a comfortable chair and giving it a stylish design using aluminum and polyurethane. 



The next floor displayed figures expressing characteristics from the Decorative Design Movement. Art in this era encompassed subtle patterns and colors. I particularly enjoyed the Luigi 1 Chandelier which was a ceiling fan with a few light bulbs branching off. There was glass shaped into vines which wrapped around the fan. The work had vivid colors like bright yellow, red, and green. I also marveled at the Agaricon Lamp. It was semi-transparent and made of polycarbonate and aluminum. The shape was like a mushroom which I found unique. The top had a glittery tint and the battery and light bulb could be seen. 

The top floor and personally my favorite of the entire exhibit featured art from the Neo-pop Movement. The objects gave a new perspective of everyday objects using bright colors and strong, prominent patterns.  There were a set of 3 humongous jacks that lit up.  There was a blue, red and white one. The artist took the jacks out of its normal setting, enlarged them, and put a twist to them by making them glow. I remember reading the label for this particular artwork and it suggested the jacks be used for sitting on, stacking, or for lighting. Never would I have imagined using the jacks in all of those manners. This goes to support Ways of Seeing again because Berger said, “It is hard to define exactly how the words have changed the image but undoubtedly they have.” Reading the label has altered how I think of the art now because it is not only for viewing purposes but for everyday functions as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment